28 May 2008

Thing 10: Wikis

I think that the Wiki concept is a great time and space saving creation. Instead of emailing and cc-ing people onto the emails, the wikis allow people to edit and add to any information already existing. I think that any groups or clubs within a library or on their own would greatly benefit from using Wikis. It would allow members of these groups to easily communicate any information or questions and concerns that they may have. I also think that it allows groups in an academic setting to exchange any information that they may deem useful and appropriate to their peers. I change see where the teachers and faculty can perceive Wikipedia as an unusable source. I think that depending on what sort of project that you are working with, this is true. Because of the ability of anyone to edit or add information to a wiki, there is no proof to determine whether or not the information is correct. For younger students, they are unable to distinguish the validity of the information. By having teachers and faculty straight out ban the information, it helps to get rid of any confusion there may be. Although I can see why they are banning Wikipedia, I can also see the opposition in allowing students to use Wikipedia. Really if you break it down, most books are just someone writing their opinion about a certain topic. Just because it is not on a wiki does not make it true. This is an agrument that you really can never get a straight answer...its all opinions.
I chose to edit the 23things Wiki. It was fairly easy to understand and to navigate. I would recommend using wikis if the situation needs it.

No comments: