21 May 2008

Thing 7: Web 2.0 Tools

Email: I read the information about different ways of organizing your emails. I guess that I could see the relevancy and how it could help some people especially in situations in which for work they are on the computer all day. On a normal weekday I usually only check my email once a day or once every two days. On weekends, I check it maybe once or twice a day. None of my friends and family are on the computer all day so there really is no need. For a lot of people the internet and email is their main source or communication and I think that without some sort or organizing (ie templates or groups) things could potentially get a little out of hand.
Instant Messaging: When I was in college, im-ing was a very common and easy way to ask a question or to chat with friends that had moved away. It a very good resource and quite simple to use. Although when I used to use it, there weren't nearly as many shortened words and now I have no idea what most of them mean. I have heard of other libraries using im as a tool for reference. I think that this is a very good solution. Many customers are quite shy or at home working on their computers and im-ing gives them a no-nonsense and no-pressure situation. But I do see it as a drawback for libraries that don't necessarily have a reference desk. In order for this system to work, someone would have to be sitting at a computer all day. It has its pros and cons but overall I see it is very helpful.
Text Messaging: I use text messaging on a regular basis and I highly recommend it. I think that it an effective way to get an answer to a question or a message to someone. It is available even when they are not able to talk on the phone and it saves time without the small talk that usually accompanies a phone call. Just as the video shows, it is also a good resource to use for a library. It is a quick and easy way to get an answer.
Web Conferencing: I chose to read the WebJunction article on web conferencing. I have seen this in action in the workforce and seen how great of a tool it is. I have personally never actually been in a conference myself but I can see where it would be an asset. The ability to have a visual meeting with people all over the world is outstanding. I think that it would be fairly easy to use and understand.

No comments: