09 June 2008

Thing 15: Games

For this thing, I chose to check out Pirate Puzzle. I must say that this is a great resource to waste time. I got caught up in the games a little bit but it was fun and something I would go back to if I am bored at home. I didn't get much of an opportunity to chat or to interact with other players. I was a little confused as to whether I was communicating with the computer or with actual people. I tried to do somethings but it wouldn't allow me without a subscription. I was able to play some games though and I thoroughly enjoyed them.
I checked out the video for SecondLife and some other videos about it too and I have to say that I am a little disappointed in not being able to put it on my computer and play around with it. I have seen somethings on it briefly before but I was not aware of the libraries and overall depth of information found on it. I thought that one of the most interesting things is the ability to engage in Harvard classes and have discussions on various topics. I think that this is a great tool and can definitely see the appeal. I have played the SIMs before and from what I have seen, SecondLife is somewhat similar only more interactive. I have heard of people becoming addicted to the game but just like everything else in life, it is a great time when done in moderation. I might try to get it on my computer at home to see what all the hype is about.
I have some experience with other MMOPRGs. My boyfriend is a big fan and player of World of Warcraft. Firsthand, I see the appeal of being connected and playing an interactive game with people from all over the globe and from every age group. As a librarian, I think that it is important to be informed and aware of what interests patrons and what they would like out of their library. I found this thing to be educational and very interesting.

No comments: