24 June 2008

Thing 21: Other Social Networks


View my page on 23 Things on a Stick

Before doing this thing, I was only a member of Facebook but while doing this, I became a member of Playlist. I thought that it was quite neat, although I didn't really pick anything for my playlist that I didn't already have on another playlist on my ipod. I thought that it was pretty cool that you could listen to the music before you created a playlist and that you could browse other people's playlists and know what the most popular music being put on the playlists were.
I wasn't much of a fan of Gather, Web Junction or Ning. I think that this may be because I am so used to the features of Facebook and previously, MySpace that I found it a bit difficult to navigate around these sites.
I looked around on the What's on my Bookshelf and Fuzzster and they seemed like pretty decent sites and interesting ways for people to connect. I don't think that I will ever use them because I don't spend much time on the internet. I think that for now, I will just stick to what I currently use and see if there is need in the future.
I don't know how most of these sites would benefit the library (other than of course Web Junction) but I do see how they are useful to be have some knowledge about them to help our customers and to better understand what they use and are looking for in their library.

No comments: