19 June 2008

Thing 20: Facebook

I chose to do the Facebook application on this thing. Although I have had both a MySpace and a Facebook in the past. I now only have the Facebook account. I closed my MySpace account almost two years ago. It was getting to be something that I did not what to be associated with and I canceled it. I think that people these days are getting a more negative attitude towards MySpace. It is perceived as more of something for teenagers not for adults.
I started on Facebook when I was in college when it was only open to college students. I didn't mind that they made it open to everyone but I must admit that it took a little bit of the appeal out of it. Personally, I mainly use the network to get back in touch with friends from high school and college that I have not seen in a long time. After reading some of the articles on Facebook provided in the 23 things blog, I changed my site a bit. I am not sure if any employer has searched my site but I never had anything on there to worry about. But that is not to say that an employer in the future would not look at my site. I cleaned it up a bit and got rid of unused and unwanted items. I could see the potential for an employer to search for someone on one of these social networking sites, they give more of an inside as to a person's personal life. You should only put out there what you wouldn't mind anyone (friends, employers, parents, etc.) taking a look at.
That aside, I am all for these networking systems, I can definitely see why Facebook is becoming the fastest growing of these networks. I have convinced 2 people to join just to use the Scrabulous application feature on Facebook. I think that Facebook deserves any grow that it may get, it is a great resource.

No comments: