02 June 2008

Thing 12: Do you Digg?

The tools used in this thing were I think a take it or leave it for me. I think that you if you regularly check the news online and go to various different sources to do so, then these are great time saving tools to use. I could also see how they would be of interest for use in a library to get the news that people are interested in and to be on top of the game. Although this is a reflection of what the people are interested in, it is only a reflection of a selection group of people. I think that if you were able to narrow the selections to area or region then it would be more effective. I looked at all the sites and I found all of them (Digg was down and so unable to check this one out) to be a bit confusing and not nearly as clear and concise as the news websites themselves. I see this as a negative and would really hinder my use of these tools. I think that these would be something that I would check out if I had some time to spare and could get lost in the stories that I was reading. I could see it as more of a detractor and less of an enhancer for productivity. As I was perusing the sites, I stumbled upon stories that I normally would not have read or known anything thing about but frankly, these were stories that I really did not need to read. I guess, personally, I get lost in odd stories and things that have really no relevance to anything. I don't think that I would use these tools in the future but they were fun to read and learn about. Although I do wish that I were able to check out Digg but unfortunately it was down while they are trying to make it better. Perhaps I will check it out after the improvements are complete and I will change my mind on these tools.

No comments: