04 May 2009

Thing 32: Google Maps and Mashups

I have used Google Maps quite a bit before. In fact, in my Internet Searching class that I have taught here at the library, I also show people how to use this website and a few of the neat things that can be done with it. I have not used the My Maps before. I had a little difficulty with My Maps and finding all the place point describers and the different features but I asked a coworker and she helped me a bit. I created a map of where we will be going on our honeymoon in a week and a half. I created some place markers for places of interest that we will be going to and some things that I like along the way. I looked over the mash-ups and took some time with the local brewery one and found some places of interest along our trip that we may have to check out. I can see adding the google maps feature to the library website to show people where the library is and to perhaps to help them with directions to the library. I can also see it working to show people where important places are in the city such as the post office, city hall, courthouse, etc. An interesting way to also use it for the library would be to create historical walking tours that people would be able to print off and follow throughout our community and find important places in our history. Here is my map that I created:

View Honeymoon in a larger map

No comments: