08 May 2009

Thing 43: Online TV and Video

I have already been a huge fan of Hulu before this thing. I think that it is a great resource and it is used quite often in our library. Personally, I have DVR at home so I aleady have many of the options and services featured on Hulu. Unfortunately they do not have the daily episodes of Jeopardy on this website so I won't be getting rid of my cable and DVR anytime soon. I think that it has been helpful for other people and for our patrons who may not have cable or televisions at home to access their favorite shows for free in the library. I have always wondered about the copyright infringements and am curious as to how these websites are able to offer the shows free of charge and where they got the rights to do so. I think that with the economy the way that it has been, the free access to these shows has definitely hurt the cable and television companies. At the same time, you can also access news reports and everything else on other websites so it doesn't seem mush different. I think that it is a neat website but I don't see myself switching over to it anytime in the near future.

No comments: