08 May 2009

Thing 45: Cloud Computing

I can see the point and why there is a need for such a service on the internet. It is a lot to carry one's own personal computer around with them and it is not always convenient to carry a flash drive or we don't always carry one with us. I could also see why it would not be beneficial. The internet is not the greatest and safest place to store your information. We all know that the internet may not always be working so to rely on that to store and safeguard your information isn't the smartest route. I personally do not really do any computing in "the cloud" other than emails and such. I do rely heavily on those to store important documents or information that I may need in an email. This for me is a "safe" place to keep it but I wouldn't be completely lost if this information were to disappear or if I were not able to access the internet to get it. I think that I would feel differently about this whole "cloud" thing if I were in school or in a setting that I would produce and need to handle a large number of documents or projects. I think that these applications definitely make sense for working on a group or collaborated projects.
I looked at the desktoptwo and the glidedigital websites. They looked cool but I was trying to find out more about them without having to sign up for their service. I would have liked a video or a tutorial on them to see what they offer.
I could see this thing as being a benefit to some people. I don't really see its benefit for the library or for myself.

No comments: