06 May 2009

Thing 35: Books 2.0

In our library, I have not seen much change in the borrowing of books being influenced by kindle or other electronic book type things. I think that people like to have the physical book in their hand. That's part of the whole experience of reading it, feeling and smelling the book. I also think that people find it hard to read on the smaller electronics and it hurts their eyes. Personally, I like the whole process of going to the library, looking through the books, seeing a cover, and actually touching the book. I think that the electronic devices make it seem like you are more of reading a webpage than a book. I think that its not the same experience and because of this, there won't be a mad rush of people switching over. I already have been a member of LibraryThing from the first round and I absolutely love it. I mainly wanted to join so that it would organize my books for me and I would just have to coordinate my shelves. I wish that I would have more time to finish entering all my books but soon, I hope. I looked at a few other sites that were on the list, but I think that I still like LibraryThing the best. I created an account with the Shelfari website. I really liked the look of this site and was excited about it until I joined and got started. There was no organization for my collection and it seemed to be more of a book talk site rather than an organization and collection site. I also looked at the BookLamps site. I joined because once againI thought it looked cool. I was way confused and didn't really figure out what to do on the site. We already use the KDL What's Next site at our library and it has come in handy quite often. The last site that I looked at was the Living Social website. If I spent more time on the internet for entertainment, then I would definitely join this site but it just seemed like one more thing that I wouldn't have time for.

No comments: